It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How many points needed for Blyth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 pm 

Mathematically Blyth need 10 points from 18 to win the league.

I would say the probably only need 6 now to get to 91pts, Blyth currently on 85 with a +57 goal difference. Below is what the teams can reach if they win every game.

Nantwich 93 (+26)
Stourbridge 89 (+25)
Warrington 86 (+9)
Spennymoor Town 94 (+34)
Whitby 88 (+8)
Buxton 88 (+24)

Blyth won't not win the league from here so it's just a question of when it's all done I would say Halesowen at home on the 8th April could well be the day they win the league any thoughts Blyth fans or anyone else.

Post subject: Re: How many points needed for Blyth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 pm 

That's the day we'd like to clinch it as it's marks 5 years to the day since we were relegated from the Conference North.

We don't play midweek so points need could well be less by the time
We play again.

What spirit is man can be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm 

Blyth Spirit wrote:
That's the day we'd like to clinch it as it's marks 5 years to the day since we were relegated from the Conference North.

We play again.

Yeah and Spennymoor v Nantwich on Sat 1st April should help you knock at least one of the teams who can get close back if not both.

From a Darlo point of view it will be good to have another Northern team in Nat North.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47 pm 

Hold on a minute even before Blyth made a shed load of money out of their FA cup run( which they were fantastic) they have bottled the last 4 seasons in this league.

They have been up their or their abouts but never made it.

I best put Workington up there as well .

Blyth this season have won a very poor league this season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 pm 

super_les wrote:
Blyth Spirit wrote:

We play again.

Yeah and Spennymoor v Nantwich on Sat 1st April should help you knock at least one of the teams who can get close back if not both.

From a Darlo point of view it will be good to have another Northern team in Nat North.

Maybe 2 if you're really lucky(or at least Spennymoor or Whitby are).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 am 

alex ilkeston wrote:
Hold on a minute even before Blyth made a shed load of money out of their FA cup run( which they were fantastic) they have bottled the last 4 seasons in this league.

They have been up their or their abouts but never made it.

I best put Workington up there as well .

Blyth this season have won a very poor league this season.

Last season, second place.

Season before that missed out on the play-offs on the final day.

Season before that our playoff chances ended about a couple of weeks before hand.

Can't remember where we finished the season before that.

You call it bottling (which for last season I can understand at least), I call it being consistently good. We've made some small improvement each season and continued to get stronger. Obviously it's no coincidence that with clubs like Salford and Darlington gone who had what seemed like unlimited resources we seem to have a clearer path. We just had to keep plugging away each year and wait for our opportunity, hopefully this is it. This is the longest spell we've had of stability in the 22+ years I've been supporting Blyth, if anything, that is probably an even bigger achievement than winning the league would be.

Last edited by Scott-BSAFC on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:19 am 

I wouldn't say Darlo had unlimited resources, we have a finite budget which obviously depends on the money coming in, just like your club does.

To put it another way, Darlo lost out on players to Spennymoor last close season, and probably will again, so it could be argued that Spenny have more money than us.

So is the league really easier this season?

Spenny should have walked it with the big name signings of Curtis, Chandler, Ramshaw, Craddock etc - so Blyth have done exceptionally well.

Blyth sign players that are not motivated by money first, and believe it or not that's the case at Darlo too (though obviously we can offer more than Blyth). Whereas it seems to me that moneygra££ers go to Spenny.

Players playing for the shirt always > players playing for the wage packet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:30 am 

PKD wrote:
I wouldn't say Darlo had unlimited resources, we have a finite budget which obviously depends on the money coming in, just like your club does.

To put it another way, Darlo lost out on players to Spennymoor last close season, and probably will again, so it could be argued that Spenny have more money than us.

Spenny should have walked it with the big name signings of Curtis, Chandler, Ramshaw, Craddock etc - so Blyth have done exceptionally well.

Blyth sign players that are not motivated by money first, and believe it or not that's the case at Darlo too (though obviously we can offer more than Blyth). Whereas it seems to me that moneygra££ers go to Spenny.

There's a reason why I worded it like this:

Quote:
who had what seemed like unlimited resources

To us, you may as well have had unlimited resources. Being able to bring in someone like Liam Hardy at the business end of the season for example was a very clear example of the differences between us. At this stage of the season we're more used to cheap loan signings to shore up our squad depth rather than force their way into the regular starting XI. Signing McTiernan from Whitby for actual money was quite a step up from what we're used to.

I don't know if Spennymoor were just putting on an act for us, because over two games they've been our best opponents this season. We do have the benefit of having kept the core of a good team together and playing at this level for a short while now whereas Spennymoor, even with experienced signings, are seemingly adapting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:47 am 

The thing is regarding Spenny's signings is they were all players from the Conference national or even better. They should not need to adapt to this league.

The likes of Curtis, Chandler, Ramshaw, Craddock etc could have signed for Darlo in the higher league and still be playing below themselves.

As it happens, we ended up signing better players anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 am 

PKD wrote:
The thing is regarding Spenny's signings is they were all players from the Conference national or even better. They should not need to adapt to this league.

The likes of Curtis, Chandler, Ramshaw, Craddock etc could have signed for Darlo in the higher league and still be playing below themselves.

As it happens, we ended up signing better players anyway.

Still can take time though to settle into a new team, they seemed to make a whole load of new signings in some crazy signing free for all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:12 pm 

With the players Spennymoor signed in the summer then I did think they would be too strong for the league and win it but they haven't done as well as I expected.

However for me whether they have underachieved or not is all down to how well they finish, if they don't make the playoffs then they have underachieved but if they do then they have probably done the minimum you would expect. Promotion would mean they have achieved the key target, if they make playoffs and get beat then I guess that can happen you move on to next year.

I have only seen Spenny play once this season so hard to judge but I was expecting them overall to boss the Evo Prem with the players they signed, so surprised with how they have struggled to win many games away from home. 1 in 3 wins away form is a poor record especially with 5 away games still left, seems like they may need to make 2nd/3rd place for any joy in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm 

Hearing a rumour Armstrong has signed for Middlesbrough. Big loss but wish him well

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:58 am 

One can only have respect for the way Blyth go about running a football club. They appear to finance the team based on a sustainable budget based on club income, not the pockets of some rich bloke who may get bored one day.

Steady progress has brought results. Good luck to them in Conference North.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm 

PKD wrote:

Buxton thrown it to them , with rubbish defending all around team in a few games , especially against 10 men thrown points , plus some of the management tactics are baffling , how we 5th just shows how poor I think it has been , same with same old pants make of football , if that good why don't they use it in EPL , EFL or FC , it's counterfeit to me and many others , Ilko have been a disgrace in the league this season , dodgy H&S cert and dodgy acc's and why haven't the PFA bin called in , with no wages been paid ? sums up how this sticky pot league is run !