It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spennymoor town fc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:40 pm 

I wish we could sign a player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 am 

Gregos Tratorelli wrote:
Salford had a much stronger side than us yet they went up in the playoffs behind 1883

Who?

No such club according to the BBC? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nat ... orth/table

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:36 am 

Gregos Tratorelli wrote:
darlo should of been 2nd but blyth bottled it.

Should "have"

It's about time people gave Darlo some credit for last season instead of accusing Blyth of being bottle jobs.

No we shouldn't have finished 2nd. We should have, and did, finished 1st.

We were the best team in the league last season, end of. We beat Blyth three times. The table does not lie after 46 matches.

The reason we caught Blyth was not so much them bottling it, but more to do with us having an incredible second half of the season. Blyth might have dropped one or two unexpected points as even champions do, but no way did they collapse and hand us the title.

Even when Blyth were seemingly way ahead we always had games in hand which if we won (and we did win them) we could catch them. The simple fact is they couldn't have done any more, they had the points already in the bag and in normal circumstances you'd expect the chasing club to get tired playing the extra games and not win them all. Unluckily for them, we were utterly relentless, and they were desperately unlucky to finish 2nd with the points total that they had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm 

PKD wrote:
Gregos Tratorelli wrote:

Should "have"

It's about time people gave Darlo some credit for last season instead of accusing Blyth of being bottle jobs.

We were the best team in the league last season, end of. We beat Blyth three times. The table does not lie after 46 matches.

The reason we caught Blyth was not so much them bottling it, but more to do with us having an incredible second half of the season. Blyth might have dropped one or two unexpected points as even champions do, but no way did they collapse and hand us the title.

Even when Blyth were seemingly way ahead we always had games in hand which if we won (and we did win them) we could catch them. The simple fact is they couldn't have done any more, they had the points already in the bag and in normal circumstances you'd expect the chasing club to get tired playing the extra games and not win them all. Unluckily for them, we were utterly relentless, and they were desperately unlucky to finish 2nd with the points total that they had.

If we win the league this season we'll probably not have as many points as last season. There was definitely an element of collapse as we had some awful results towards the end of the season and just a few of those becoming victories would have sufficed. Sutton Coldfield home and away, Halesowen and Frickley at home for example. But it would be harsh to complain because we did almost everything possible. It was like running a marathon in record time, and then seeing Mo Farah already there at the finishing line wondering what took you so long. If we win the league this season, our record for this season and last combined is going to look pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 pm 

Yes, you had a couple of dodgy results in the run in, but at the same time I remember you coming from behind to win 4-3 at one point in the run in, in a match you looked doomed to lose (you might have been 3-0 down?) - so you kept the pressure on us. We also had a couple of matches where we can look back and think "mmm, points dropped there", so it happens to everyone.

It just irks me that people think that Darlo didn't win the league but Blyth threw it away - it's not giving due credit to Darlo for chasing you down, but for anyone to suggest that Blyth blew it is also disrespectful to Blyth's efforts, I mean you scored 99 points didn't you.

Fingers crossed you go up this season, it'd be good to have you in the National North, nice bit of local interest. It'd be doubly good if Spenny win the play offs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm 

PKD wrote:
Yes, you had a couple of dodgy results in the run in, but at the same time I remember you coming from behind to win 4-3 at one point in the run in, in a match you looked doomed to lose (you might have been 3-0 down?) - so you kept the pressure on us. We also had a couple of matches where we can look back and think "mmm, points dropped there", so it happens to everyone.

It just irks me that people think that Darlo didn't win the league but Blyth threw it away - it's not giving due credit to Darlo for chasing you down, but for anyone to suggest that Blyth blew it is also disrespectful to Blyth's efforts, I mean you scored 99 points didn't you.

Fingers crossed you go up this season, it'd be good to have you in the National North, nice bit of local interest. It'd be doubly good if Spenny win the play offs.

Yeah, 3-0 down at Ilkeston.

If we go up, I can see us struggling next season in the National North (is that the name for it now?) with the teams in that division. I'm confident we could survive, but from what we've been used to at this level over the past seasons, it's probably going to be a rude awakening as to how much does or doesn't go our way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 pm 

As I've said before, Blyth clearly should be a step up and I'm delighted for them that it will happen this season.
I also think they'll have few problems in National North. None of the clubs promoted from this league in recent seasons have struggled immediately, and some (Fleetwood, Gateshead, Guiseley, North Ferriby) have gone further. Curzon Ashton were not as strong as Blyth over 46 games, yet they are comfortably mid-table.
Compare too how teams relegated form the step above have done. Droylsden - straight down again. Corby - battling not to do the same.
There is clearly a considerable overlap in strength across the steps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:33 pm 

PKD wrote:
Gregos Tratorelli wrote:
Salford had a much stronger side than us yet they went up in the playoffs behind 1883

Who?

No such club according to the BBC? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nat ... orth/table

There is according to the National League

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/tab ... ision_id=4

:roll:

Follow me on Twitter - https://mobile.twitter.com/Cuzza_LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm 

PKD wrote:

Agree with PKD, in fairness to Darlo & Blyth the league wasn't won because Blyth capitulated it was won because Darlo were outstanding, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

104 points from 45 games (final game was a dead rubber and Darlo lost with nothing on the game) was pretty special really, Blyth if they win every game now will reach 103 which puts that into some perspective as they have largely had it their own way with little to challenge them.

Blyth have gradually built and would agree they don't have unlimited resources, what they have done is improved each season and built on a solid platform. They will deservedly win the league this year and will no doubt be a good addition to the National North.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:37 pm 

SpennyNott5 wrote:
PKD wrote:
Gregos Tratorelli wrote:

Who?

There is according to the National League

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/tab ... ision_id=4

:roll:

No, still don't see a club named "1883" :?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm 

johnhmproctor wrote:
As I've said before, Blyth clearly should be a step up and I'm delighted for them that it will happen this season.
I also think they'll have few problems in National North. None of the clubs promoted from this league in recent seasons have struggled immediately, and some (Fleetwood, Gateshead, Guiseley, North Ferriby) have gone further.

Those clubs you name all have had financial backing to various degrees, something that Blyth don't really have.

From what I've seen having watched Darlo play from step 5 to step 2, is that...the gap between step 5 and step 4 is huge. The gap between step 4 and step 3 is minimal. The gap between step 3 and step 2 is noticeable - definitely a good jump, but not one that a very good step 3 team can't cope with.

I have a feeling that the gap between step 2 and step 1 will be a chasm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 pm 

Blyth and Darlington in my opinion both have a far better management team then we do currently. Blyth Squad isn't half as good as ours but they will deservedly win the league. Let's see where we are end of season. I would love to see us get top two but honestly can't see it.
Hoping for 3 good points away from home tonight!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am 

PKD wrote:
Gregos Tratorelli wrote:

Should "have"

Spot on PKD Darlo excelled last season at the back end but we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves or bottle it as our points were far superior to the rest bar Darlo and we only went out of the play offs through imo sheer stupidity on team selection ie favouritism instead of putting the team first . When Spenny came up with the cash they splashed they were favourites according to some of the trumpet blowers on here . Their home record is good but away they've been found out probably because they don't have the advantage of playing on a pit heap/cows field of a pitch with dodgy lighting for every night game which they are used too. Is it right the cashflow isn't what it was which could be the reason for loanees instead of buying up anyone who is threat to their promotion hopes and not playing them like they did pre/early season.This season apart from the odd hiccup weve came on leaps and bounds under Alan Armstrong whos new to this side of football. I just hope we can keep hold of him for a few more seasons because hes tightened us up especially at the back where last season we shipped a lot of silly goals which cost us in the end .The season is far from over though and the run in is a joy to see with so many scrapping it out.

Last edited by the signalman on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am 

[quote="Yorkshireman"]Blyth and Darlington in my opinion both have a far better management team then we do currently. Blyth Squad isn't half as good as ours
How do you work that out :? I wouldn't swap many of your lot for our lads .From what ive seen I,d take Joe Tait /Dan Lowson and Chandler but the rest no better than what we,ve got and most probably not on the big bucks your lot are on. I think Curtis is and has been a great player but his age nearly 35 is what puts me off if we do go up .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am 

If you look at both squads I think it's fair to say spenny have the better squad, lawson, griffiths, Henry, chandler, Curtis would get In basically every team in the league. Add to that glen taylor who has done really well this season. What I don't understand is signing someone like dowsonwho from what I can see isn't a natural goalscorer like fisher is?! Just a un needed signing in my opinion. Look at tom craddock yes he's played at a much higher standard but from what I saw looked like he hasn't played in years so it's impossible he got scouted in the right way. Seems to happen a lot, frost last season was a prime example.

Signalmen I am not slating blyth one bit the way they have reacted to last season to go on and win the league this year is superb and I wish you all the best. I just wish our manager would settle on a squad and use it as well as Blyths management team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next