It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reflections on the Easter groundhop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm 

This was an outstanding success and a fitting tribute to the League and, in particular, it's history.

A personal highlight was walking to North Shields ground seeing the ground well filled ans streams of people walking from every direction to be part of the experience, took me back many many years. It was a joy just to mix with people that had traveled from all over this and other countries to be part of the occasion.

Hopefully the NL will find a way to acknowledge the guy that organised it all, Harvey Harris. He organised and co-ordinated all 4 groundhops entirely as a volunteer with precious little support from the NL officials , many of whom have been thin on the ground at the hops.If the celebration had been left to them , none of this would have happened.

Not only was every club included that had not been featured before,but the non-intrusive way it was set up was brilliant. There was no attempt to out muscle the clubs over sale of merchandise , indeed they were encouraged to do all they could to make money for themselves, with the NL stall being present as a back up.

Around 350 people spent their Easters in the north east watching our football, there ought to be some recognition by the tourist board as well!

Post subject: Re: Reflections on the Easter groundhop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm 

Well said and well done Mr Harris.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm 

I'm not a "patyaontheback" type of person but I know how much effort was put in just for the game at North Shields so indeed hats off to all the organisers and in particular Mr Harris and all those that put in the effort at all the clubs. It took me 5 hours to print and staple 240 programmes so I can imagine there will be a lot of programme editors out their putting up their feet. Did everyone get the programmes to Brandon on the Thursday night?
Has anyone seen any blogs of the trips yet? I've seen a few for the Saturday (which seems to have been the highest attended by the ground hoppers) but not many for the other days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 pm 

WeWillFollow3 wrote:
I'm not a "patyaontheback" type of person but I know how much effort was put in just for the game at North Shields so indeed hats off to all the organisers and in particular Mr Harris and all those that put in the effort at all the clubs. It took me 5 hours to print and staple 240 programmes so I can imagine there will be a lot of programme editors out their putting up their feet. Did everyone get the programmes to Brandon on the Thursday night?Has anyone seen any blogs of the trips yet? I've seen a few for the Saturday (which seems to have been the highest attended by the ground hoppers) but not many for the other days.

All clubs did except for one.

Portland Park, Troon (15/07/17)

My New Grounds Log & Map-

http://smid100fgc.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... ewart.html

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/etseeketsee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm 

mjrbrowns wrote:
This was an outstanding success and a fitting tribute to the League and, in particular, it's history.

A personal highlight was walking to North Shields ground seeing the ground well filled ans streams of people walking from every direction to be part of the experience, took me back many many years. It was a joy just to mix with people that had traveled from all over this and other countries to be part of the occasion.

Hopefully the NL will find a way to acknowledge the guy that organised it all, Harvey Harris. He organised and co-ordinated all 4 groundhops entirely as a volunteer with precious little support from the NL officials , many of whom have been thin on the ground at the hops.If the celebration had been left to them , none of this would have happened.

Not only was every club included that had not been featured before,but the non-intrusive way it was set up was brilliant. There was no attempt to out muscle the clubs over sale of merchandise , indeed they were encouraged to do all they could to make money for themselves, with the NL stall being present as a back up.

Around 350 people spent their Easters in the north east watching our football, there ought to be some recognition by the tourist board as well!

Completely agree. Had a long chat with Harvey and Pete Sixsmith -whose idea it was for the original NL hops - at Roofing on Saturday. They both deserve a huge amount of credit for the work they've put in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm 

Well done to Harvey, Peter and everyone else involved in the excellent series of hops, ending with the best one this past weekend.

Portland Park, Troon (15/07/17)

My New Grounds Log & Map-

http://smid100fgc.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... ewart.html

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/etseeketsee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:44 pm 

From the Brandon perspective and being the unofficial start to the occasion, we thought it was great.... We honestly didn't expect so many people.....

Everybody who wanted a programme may not have got one on the night, but to those who gave me their names & addresses, the programmes are in the post!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 am 

I can only echo all of those compliments to the organisers too, and again take the opportunity to thank all the volunteers at the club who turned up in numbers to help out. We're still amazed at the 473 attendance at Kingsley Park for our game v Whickham which more than doubled our previous best league turn out. Oddly enough with such a comparatively huge crowd, sales of programmes, badges etc were mildly disappointing but I appreciate 'souvenir fatigue' and rapidly emptying pockets by the last game on day 3 kicking in.
That in no way detracts from what was a fantastic day in the history of Ryton And Crawcrook Albion FC, I only wish I'd had time to take more photos from round the ground so if anyone has any snaps they wouldn't mind sharing on our website please send them to racafc@outlook.com
Similarly if anyone missed out on the special edition of the programme or would like a club badge please PM me or send a message to the above email address.
It has also been gratifying to receive emails from 'hoppers' telling us how much they enjoyed their time at our wee ground and that they have every intention of returning.
So again thanks to all concerned including those at the other clubs involved with the hop who have helped make the Easter Hop the occasion it was.