It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Carlton Palmer 0 Handsworth Parramore 3
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm 

With waterlogged pitches at New Mills and Handsworth FC and with Newport County not playing until tomorrow, I decided to watch Handsworth wannabees (or should that be soon to bees?) play Staveley at Inkersall Road.

I quite like Inkersall Road. With a current capacity of 5000, it is only a case of adding some more seats and it wouldn't be far short of third or fourth division standard. It has a good bar and plenty of room for development within the ground. Car parking though is a tad limited for crowds much above a couple of hundred. I got there before 2pm to be sure of a spot. I'm not keen on the blue and white striped paint job, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Today was notable for Staveley fielding Carlton Palmer for almost eighty minutes as part of a fund raising effort for the Cavendish Cancer Care charity. A great gesture on his part.

It has to be said though that he did not make that much of an impression on either me or the game and he was substituted very soon after Parramore scored their second goal which was arguably down to Palmer. A massive slice from defence put the ball on the Worksop left wing about in line with the point from which he kicked it. A couple of passes on the wing, a cross and it was 0-2.

Where he did stand out was his organisational nous when defending set pieces. He was checking the positions of all the attacking players every time and marshalling his defenders accordingly.

This merger thing between Handsworth and Parramore will be a big benefit for both teams if all goes to plan. It will get Handsworth the NCEL Premier place they earned on the pitch two seasons ago and get Parramore the fan base they have never had. There were more supporters there today from the Handsworth side of the merger (due to their postponement) than normally watch Parramore at home.

I went into the rather good bar for some snap before the game. I stood patiently at the counter while four ladies pottered about behind it. After a couple of minutes, the youngest of them (around 16/17 y.o.) approached.

"Would you like serving?"

"Yes please. I'll have pie, chips and peas."

"What sort of pie would you like?"

"What have you got?"

"Mince and onion, steak or chicken."

"Steak please."

"OK. Would you like anything with your pie?"

Sometimes I despair of today's youth.

Last edited by Forester on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Carlton Palmer 0 Handsworth Parramore 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm 

I visited Inkersall Rd with Garforth back in November, and having not been there since about 2001 I too was impressed with the facilities. Great clubhouse and programme and not forgetting one of Town's best performances of the season :mrgreen: .

"I do not believe my eyes. A ball through the middle is over Henshaw and Mark Simpson lobs Stewart. 1-1. Clinical, from Garforth. 87 gone". - cumbria exile

Post subject: Re: Carlton Palmer 0 Handsworth Parramore 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

GTFCandrew wrote:
I visited Inkersall Rd with Garforth back in November, and having not been there since about 2001 I too was impressed with the facilities. Great clubhouse and programme and not forgetting one of Town's best performances of the season :mrgreen: .

It is just a pity about the paint job.