It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Runcorn Town v Alsager Town
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:00 pm 

Another trip West to Runcorn for me tomorrow

Game number 42 of the season for me & ground 35.

I haven't seen either team before so no pre match info.

On a run of two home 4-0 wins, number 3?

Live match updates on twitter @footballspoon

Non League's Premier Utensil

Post subject: Re: Runcorn Town v Alsager Town
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:31 pm 

Runcorn Town 0
Alsager Town 3

Att:50

This match all hinged on one factor and how the teams handled it. The weather. The wind howled from the South to be joined after 40 minutes by the rain. It made playing conditions awful, but they were awful for both teams. Alsager.Town handled it fairly well, Runcorn Town did not.

Needless to say, when playing with the wind it was a major advantage. Runcorn bossed the first half and were unlucky not to score in the first half. This said, however, the visitors keeper didn't have much to do as most shots missed the target. The home side didn't make the most of the wind. Not many shots from distance at all, if any, a little puzzling given the conditions, but what do I know.

The second half appeared to be heading the same way until an awful gaffe by Runcorn Town's keeper Karl Willis. A high swirling ball was going about 3/4 yds wide and rather than just let it, his attempts to catch it presented Chris Smith with the easiest chance he will get this season.

Alsager visibly grew and it was no surprise when 15 minutes later, Hughes found himself free 10 yds out and he thumped the ball home.

Icing on the cake for the visitors cam with 7 minutes left when a free-kick out wide right and 30 to 35 yards out, taken by Jed Davies found the hapless Willis, for reasons best known to himself in that wind, far too far off his line and another error of his cost his team a further goal.

That is where it should end. But Runcorn Town decided they had had enough. A horrible challenge by one of their players deservedly got a straight red and was that bad it could easily have led to both teams losing their heads, thankfully it didn't.

I think the thing that really shocked me though, at the final whistle, several Runcorn Town players just walked straight off, obviously avoiding their opponents offered hand. To be honest, their behaviour matched their performance. Poor, very poor.

Having visited both Runcorn teams on consecutive weekends I must say I experienced a warm welcome in both clubhouses, yet what happened on the pitch couldn't have been further apart.

Well done Alsager Town, your tenacity impressed me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:49 pm 

Good review, Football Spoon!

I was watching the match from the seats on the opposite side from the clubhouse. At half time, when the score was still level, and with the prospect of playing with the wind in the second half, I felt that if Alsager players keep their heads this match is very winnable. And so it was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm 

drawoh wrote:
Good review, Football Spoon!

I was watching the match from the seats on the opposite side from the clubhouse. At half time, when the score was still level, and with the prospect of playing with the wind in the second half, I felt that if Alsager players keep their heads this match is very winnable. And so it was.

Thank you, just try to be honest.

For where they are in the league Alsager impressed me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 pm 

Football Spoon wrote:
Thank you, just try to be honest.

For where they are in the league Alsager impressed me

Only just realised you were tweeting from the game. Just been reading your tweets. :)