It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The League present and future
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 pm 

Having read previous comments about Sherburn folding, i want to explain where the league is at the moment. The seven clubs that a left are very well run established clubs, the very same would be said about Sherburn WMC who i for one are gutted that they have had to resign due to lack of players turning up week in week out. Kevin the secretary is a footballing man and i am sure he would not have taken that decision lightly. I hope in future they come back and would be very welcome too.

Due to the number of teams the league have been looking at a way of maximising the amount of games with and have changed the layout of the league challenge cup and teams have been quite successful in outside cups too.

The league has a new secretary Kieran Downey who took over earlier in the season and with the help from the Chairman Joe and the rest of the management commitee including the previous secretary Bob Sinclair whose still involved within the league hope to make the league a success how it was in the past.

Teams are welcome to apply to join the league and i will be posting an advert soon to various outlets for new clubs to express their interest for season 17/18.

Grassroots football has been in steady decline over the past few years just look at how many leagues have gone and i for one don't want the Durham Alliance Combination League to be just another statistic. I will be glad to answer any questions the best i can to anyone who wants to ask.

Post subject: Re: The League present and future
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:01 pm 

Good luck Kieran Downey. Sincerely hope the league survives. Good help there with Joe Partridge who is the salt of the earth and has a wealth of expertise and experiance in grass roots football.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 pm 

Some genuinely offered advice...

1, make the league more appealing to 'start up clubs'
2, reduce the costs by offering an option to have one matchday official rather than three
3, approach established clubs with U18 and U23 Sunday teams ask them if they would like to set up adult teams in Saturday football- host a free event for this
4, approach Northern League and Wearside league clubs to ask them if they would like to enter reserve teams in the league
5, talk openly to the Wearside league regarding promotion/ relegation
6, update the website regularly
7, update social media on a regular basis
8, offer a number of subsidiary cups

The above is offered with no bias or malice.

I played 21 games in the league last season and earned 6 moms in all competitions- I have a great fondness for the league, but I have a team in another league as we were met with a haughty attitude when we considered application last summer...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:41 am 

johnna wrote:
Some genuinely offered advice...

1, make the league more appealing to 'start up clubs'
2, reduce the costs by offering an option to have one matchday official rather than three
3, approach established clubs with U18 and U23 Sunday teams ask them if they would like to set up adult teams in Saturday football- host a free event for this
4, approach Northern League and Wearside league clubs to ask them if they would like to enter reserve teams in the league
5, talk openly to the Wearside league regarding promotion/ relegation
6, update the website regularly
7, update social media on a regular basis
8, offer a number of subsidiary cups

The above is offered with no bias or malice.

I played 21 games in the league last season and earned 6 moms in all competitions- I have a great fondness for the league, but I have a team in another league as we were met with a haughty attitude when we considered application last summer...

I think you will find all these options were considered last year, What is happening to the Durham Alliance is very sad. With Kieran now installed as Secretary things will only get better. Just hope there are a half a dozen clubs out there who wish to join the League. I cant see the remaining teams putting up with another season like this, as highlighted above, the costs (which I believe would be higher) alone make it difficult with on average £150.00 per home game. one cost not mentioned is disciplinary cost , red yellow cards which are handed out like confetti nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:25 pm 

Our first season in the league having done 6 in the Teesside league.
Both leagues are VERY well run, the demise in team numbers in both leagues is not down to the committees in my opinion (having been on the Teesside League committee).
Both leagues have different ways of helping teams and do some bits better than the other... BUT both do it with the league's and therefore the member teams best interest.
I've heard teams complain about fines from leagues... answer, don't get fined, follow the rules, hit the deadlines and you don't get fined, IT REALLY is that simple.
There are 2 real issues !) is cost of pitches, officials need to be paid for, but councils, the FA etc need to make pitches available for the few lads who can be bothered to be committed to a team. 2) is lads aren't prepared to be a sub(all match winners/ronaldo's) junior football tells them they are great but when they join mens leagues they struggle and drop out. Teams can't be held responsible for that... e.g. Sherburn, a well run club can't get players to turn up.. that is not the club's fault that is the youth of today's issue.

The alliance is a well run league, as stated above, allowing a good level of football, payments by instalments, a flexible approach to situations ( e.g 8 teams, so make the league cup a group based cup.. how many other leagues do that?) 1st aid kits supported by a sponsor, looking to grow despite setbacks.
I've been rally impressed and if you are a manager of a team looking for a Saturday league... the DACFL is for you

Rant over

Download our programmes at http://issuu.com/swanny63/stacks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:49 pm 

Hi Redswanny,

a few items of context should help.

I was previously a player/ manager/ secretary in the Durham Alliance for eight seasons. I have literally played hundreds of games in the league.

In those eight years I can recall only one fine- for non attendance at a May meeting as my heavily pregnant wife was hospitalised that day. I informed the league, still got the fine, still accepted the fine, still paid the fine.

I played again in the league last season and enjoyed my 21 games. I'd have played more games had the club not experienced games being given to them this less than 48 hours notice. Sadly, 'double headers' were enforced last season too. It all ended up as a mess to be honest. The club I played for (I was simply a player) could not attend the AGM so were ejected from the league because this was an assumed resignation. The club I played for had more teams than the Alliance had last season.

In the Summer, I started a new team within the club I am chairman of- we have 23 teams... We are stable, solvent and well respected. I approached the alliance via email before the AGM to ask about league costs, hidden costs (such as ball draws) resignations, entrants and projected numbers. Eventually, well after the AGM, I was finally told that some U18s had enquired, but we'd not be what the league was looking for.

As it happens, some of our U18s are dual registered in our league with our club and also in the Alliance with another club and theose lads get their game. We'd have given each team a game.

So, we, with regret, went elsewhere. And we are loving the league we are in!

I know BigCBeat was involved with a team in the Alliance for around ten years if I recall correctly- they were very well administered and I doubt he was subject to fines. We both like the league, I'm pretty sure we can both say we get on with people on the committee.

As for pitch costs- these tend to be full season costs, if you are in a small league, the cost per game will rise.

For my club the pitch cost is not a consideration.

I hope this sheds some light on the advice I offered from my perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:57 am 

johnna wrote:
Hi Redswanny,

a few items of context should help.

I was previously a player/ manager/ secretary in the Durham Alliance for eight seasons. I have literally played hundreds of games in the league.

In those eight years I can recall only one fine- for non attendance at a May meeting as my heavily pregnant wife was hospitalised that day. I informed the league, still got the fine, still accepted the fine, still paid the fine.

I played again in the league last season and enjoyed my 21 games. I'd have played more games had the club not experienced games being given to them this less than 48 hours notice. Sadly, 'double headers' were enforced last season too. It all ended up as a mess to be honest. The club I played for (I was simply a player) could not attend the AGM so were ejected from the league because this was an assumed resignation. The club I played for had more teams than the Alliance had last season.

In the Summer, I started a new team within the club I am chairman of- we have 23 teams... We are stable, solvent and well respected. I approached the alliance via email before the AGM to ask about league costs, hidden costs (such as ball draws) resignations, entrants and projected numbers. Eventually, well after the AGM, I was finally told that some U18s had enquired, but we'd not be what the league was looking for.

As it happens, some of our U18s are dual registered in our league with our club and also in the Alliance with another club and theose lads get their game. We'd have given each team a game.

So, we, with regret, went elsewhere. And we are loving the league we are in!

I know BigCBeat was involved with a team in the Alliance for around ten years if I recall correctly- they were very well administered and I doubt he was subject to fines. We both like the league, I'm pretty sure we can both say we get on with people on the committee.

As for pitch costs- these tend to be full season costs, if you are in a small league, the cost per game will rise.

For my club the pitch cost is not a consideration.

I hope this sheds some light on the advice I offered from my perspective.

Correct Johnna.
I was part of the league for 12 years where I was on the Management committee. Never had a fine for admin of any description until resigning from the Management Committee as press officer and Website officer , 2 thankless positions which took up a lot of my time. Once that resignation went in we were treat appallingly by the League secretary to the point we resigned 2 months later. I got on with everyone in the league until I resigned those 2 positions . It didn't take long for the relationship to deteriate to the point our club had no alternative to resign and move to the Northern Alliance from where we have never looked back. The league now has a new secretary who I genuinely wish all the best. I just hope its not to little to late.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:52 pm 

Thanks for the replies

I have a couple of queries regarding some of what you have wrote Johnna.

Thanks for your advice offered in your initial post and i can assure you the majority of what you suggested we are currently doing, but some suggestions that you made i will speak to the clubs regarding this.

Firstly i am a league official and i am privvy to all communication between leagues and clubs, no team was given a game at 48 hours notice. if by any chance that did happen it wasn't forced on any team, in fact any changes all teams were informed of and asked if could take a fixture or not. The double header wasn't ENFORCED, again all clubs were asked and agreed to the games.

No team were ejected from the league for not turning up at the AGM, league rules state the club would only be fined for non attendance and this would have been enforced. all the teams that left had resigned and one re applied after resigning. I would be interested to find out more information from you regarding this if you want to PM me and i would be happy to discuss things with you.

Also for the future the league has so far had 3 strong enquiries for next season but out of respect to the teams thats all the information i want to advertise. Also the league is actively in talks with a potential sponsor that will help secure the future of the league. We have provided first aid kits for all teams and will provide these for any new club joining the league, we will be providing match balls at the next meeting so the league is trying to look after the clubs that are in the league. We as a committee are looking at all options to help our clubs and to help bring more teams in for next season. Unfortunately some costs the league cannot prevent such as pitch fees, FA fines etc but where we can help we will.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:52 pm 

stevenDH7 wrote:
Also for the future the league has so far had 3 strong enquiries for next season but out of respect to the teams thats all the information i want to advertise. Also the league is actively in talks with a potential sponsor that will help secure the future of the league. We have provided first aid kits for all teams and will provide these for any new club joining the league, we will be providing match balls at the next meeting so the league is trying to look after the clubs that are in the league. We as a committee are looking at all options to help our clubs and to help bring more teams in for next season.

The above is brilliant news.

Regarding your request for a PM:
I will go back and check the communication I had from the club I played for last season and I will share the relevant aspects with you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:36 pm 

I would like to take the time to say a big and public thank you to StevenDH7 for taking the time to explain things from the league perspective. This has been illuminating and also very helpful.

This level of detail and open feedback for clubs and potential clubs can only be a good thing.

Thank you!

I'd hope to have another team in the league at some time in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 pm 

John

Thanks for the messages mate and appreciate your comments and you would be more than welcome in our league in the future

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:22 pm 

As an outsider who follows the league only as an occaisional ground hopper, its both sad to see the numbers decline but also positive to see that there are people committed to the league and its future. It would be a big loss to the game in Durham if the league fails and I wish you every success.

Hopefully this season is the low point from which the league makes a sustainable and succesful recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

I echo that Shy Tall Knight.
You can only admire what the people in the league are doing to keep it going.
What irks me though and I've mentioned it on the Northern League site what are the Durham FA doing about it?
We've seen league after league in the area fold in the north east in the last 20 years and the people in the Durham Alliance fighting tooth and nail to keep it going yet there's nothing in the way of help from the powers that be.
They are supposed to be the guardians of the game, promoting and encouraging participation in the playing of football, yet they only seem interested in being a money collecting service.
Where are the initiatives and ideas to encourage young men to start playing football again on Saturdays?
It'll not be too long before this will impact on the Northern and Wearside Leagues because where would the talent pool come from to supply them with players?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:28 pm 

Sea View wrote:
I echo that Shy Tall Knight.
You can only admire what the people in the league are doing to keep it going.
What irks me though and I've mentioned it on the Northern League site what are the Durham FA doing about it?
We've seen league after league in the area fold in the north east in the last 20 years and the people in the Durham Alliance fighting tooth and nail to keep it going yet there's nothing in the way of help from the powers that be.
They are supposed to be the guardians of the game, promoting and encouraging participation in the playing of football, yet they only seem interested in being a money collecting service.
Where are the initiatives and ideas to encourage young men to start playing football again on Saturdays?
It'll not be too long before this will impact on the Northern and Wearside Leagues because where would the talent pool come from to supply them with players?

Going to be worse again next season when Durham FA cut there funding to local leagues. Already been told that a certain Sunday morning league will be getting the square route of nothing next season.