It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: York vs Stockport
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 pm 

Took a long time to get this onto my blog, but September's game at Bootham Crescent was an odd way to catch up with both teams after seeing them play years ago when they were in the Football League, and I was a fresh-faced young student.

Read more at http://bit.ly/2iP2MIR

Post subject: Re: York vs Stockport
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 am 

how times change!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

I know these clubs are there on merit. But look at Morecambe's last attendance of 927 in L2 simply embarrassing. No wonder the Football League are doing everything in their power to make it easier(for the bigger clubs) to go straight back up by recently having a huge increase in parachute payments.

It affects the North more than the South but one by one traditional clubs are being overtaken/replaced by vanity projects paying huge wages at non league level making it not a level playing field. Top 3 in the North all heavily bankrolled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:49 pm 

Massies Header wrote:
I know these clubs are there on merit. But look at Morecambe's last attendance of 927 in L2 simply embarrassing. No wonder the Football League are doing everything in their power to make it easier(for the bigger clubs) to go straight back up by recently having a huge increase in parachute payments.

It affects the North more than the South but one by one traditional clubs are being overtaken/replaced by vanity projects paying huge wages at non league level making it not a level playing field. Top 3 in the North all heavily bankrolled.

Not sure if historically it's more of a problem in the North. Rushden & Diamonds, Forest Green, maybe Crawley? all seem to have enjoyed generous investment in the past; Billericay currently do, as did Canvey Island for several years. Also, to some extent, I suspect it's an inevitable part of the game - teams have been finding ways to buy success from the earliest days of the game. But it's hard not to feel sorry for teams like York, where it feels like a succession of bad decisions and incompetent boardrooms have dragged the club down. Perhaps it's also a warning: with a very small number of 'too big to fail' clubs at the very top of the game, it feels like this could happen to almost anyone.