It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Perfect day for City
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:55 pm 

Certainly turned out to be one of those days for Chester this afty. A narrow victory away at Stortford coupled with defeats for Brackley, Guiseley & Halifax is more than we could have hoped for at 3pm. Wrexham's demise in the BSP put the icing on the cake.

9 wins from 10 games is fine form in anyone's book with the possibility of going top for the first time on Wednesday.

Cracking away day at Bishop's Stortford. Its a great non-league set up and the kind of place we've grown to love visiting since we re-formed. Bit far mind you...

NPL 1 Champions 2010/11
NPL Premier Champions 2011/12
Conference North Champions 2012/13

Post subject: Re: Perfect day for City
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 am 

Was there much air traffic noise at Bishops? I believe the ground is practically on Stansted's runway?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:57 pm 

Yes they do pass overhead pretty low! It's not too bad actually, and at some points during the first half it was more interesting watching the planes taking off... :lol:

NPL 1 Champions 2010/11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 pm 

Its a great start. Congratulations.

I was wanting Town to start like that this year but we are stuttering a little bit. No need for panic, games in hand and we are placed nicely but to win a title I think a quick start is vital. Just gives you that cushion later in the season. We are also games in hand already, the Shay pitch wont take much water and a wet winter could really leave us stuffed in a situation where we are say 20 points off the pace with 7 games in hand - that's why for me it was so vital to go toe to toe with the pace setters in the opening 10-12 games.

If Chester are the benchmark of what a title winning team will be this term then im more than happy. In the games we have had, particularly the two games at the Deva, Town have been the better side. I think the game at the Shay in the cup was going along the same lines until Chester went down to ten men - they played very well with ten men but its always hard to judge things in that situation. The ten men fight like lions and the 11 men generally sod about and stop competing properly.

Once again we are playing catch up and we have some hard games to come. The run in at the end looks particularly tough on us and the teams we have played to date do look to be amongst the poorer in the division.

If Halifax start a game well, play at a really quick tempo and set the pace of the game then not many will stop them. I do feel however that Halifax are lacking in the plan b and craft department, in particular at home. Dig in and frustrate this Halifax side, taking the sting out of the game and they will always let one in at the other end. The home game V Boston a week or so ago is a perfect example.

Happy with the Halifax Squad on the whole but I just think there is that little something missing for it to win the league, namely the ability to break down a stubborn opposition at home and the ability to keep the ball out of the net at the other end at crucial times.

A long way to go yet gentleman. I hope by the time the league encounter at the Shay comes along we are both in the top 5 and the game does not fall victim to the West Yorkshire winter - there could easily be a 4,000+ crowd.

Best of luck until then, great start by Mr Young and his team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm 

Quote:
Brackley and Worcester remain the great unknown just now.
Found out about both of the above in the last week and it has to be said, neither are as good as us.

Today we beat Brackley 3-2 in a game that was much more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. 5 mad minutes at the end saw Brackley come back from being 3-0 down and almost pull off an unlikely recovery. It would have been harsh on us though, Brackley were second best all over the park for much of the game. I still think Halifax are the dangermen for us, whatever daylight we can put between us will prove important.

Tremendous travelling support this afternoon too, 750 to 800 Blues made the journey to Oxfordshire. Great to see the lads getting the support they deserve just now. 16 wins from our opening 18 games has taken many by surprise :o

NPL 1 Champions 2010/11