It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Birtley Town (A) - Sat 24 Feb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 am 

Next Saturday we make the short trip down the A1 to play league leaders Birtley Town.

I'm sure everyone is hoping its a better game than the reverse fixture which turned out to be pretty drab 1-0 win for the visitors. Birtley Town are currently top of the pile after a 4-1 win against lowly Northbank Carlisle.

We've hit some indifferent form and were on the end of a 4-0 loss in our last game away to AFC Newbiggin. This result left us in 12th position but we have 4 games in hand on those around us and a far better goal difference. In fact, our last game was the heaviest defeat in 3 seasons yet we still have the best defence outside of the top 2.

Kick off is 2pm and the post code for the ground is DH3 2TB

Post subject: Re: Birtley Town (A) - Sat 24 Feb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:27 pm 

Birtley Town 1-0 Rutherford

A bit of a sickener to see the hosts awarded a dubious and soft penalty in the 88th minute but like the reverse game, one chance was enough to win the points.

We started really well and forced the league leaders back into their half and had the ball in the net early on. However, as always, the referee gave the obvious foul on the keeper.

But that was really it with not much more to write about. Birtley had chances but every one missed the target, so up to that point neither keeper had a save to make. The 2nd half was pretty similar although the effort of all players involved was certainly high. Birtley finally got a header on target on about the hour whereas we couldn't force home a few scrambles. Then very late on the referee awarded a penalty from his position near the half-way line for what he deemed was a push. We then gave it one last go and a last-ditch lunging tackle inside the area was this time deemed fair despite several similar challenges from both sides being punished throughout the game in other areas of the pitch. Inconsistency frustrates everyone, not decisions.

Overall our defence was superb and outside the top two we have still conceded the least in the division, but we can't buy a goal at the moment and next up is a tough semi final.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm 

The Falcon wrote:

A bit of a sickener to see the hosts awarded a dubious and soft penalty in the 88th minute but like the reverse game, one chance was enough to win the points.

We started really well and forced the league leaders back into their half and had the ball in the net early on. However, as always, the referee gave the obvious foul on the keeper.

But that was really it with not much more to write about. Birtley had chances but every one missed the target, so up to that point neither keeper had a save to make. The 2nd half was pretty similar although the effort of all players involved was certainly high. Birtley finally got a header on target on about the hour whereas we couldn't force home a few scrambles. Then very late on the referee awarded a penalty from his position near the half-way line for what he deemed was a push. We then gave it one last go and a last-ditch lunging tackle inside the area was this time deemed fair despite several similar challenges from both sides being punished throughout the game in other areas of the pitch. Inconsistency frustrates everyone, not decisionS

Overall our defence was superb and outside the top two we have still conceded the least in the division, but we can't buy a goal at the moment and next up is a tough semi final.
The Falcon wrote:

But that was really it with not much more to write about. Birtley had chances but every one missed the target, so up to that point neither keeper had a save to make. The 2nd half was pretty similar although the effort of all players involved was certainly high. Birtley finally got a header on target on about the hour whereas we couldn't force home a few scrambles. Then very late on the referee awarded a penalty from his position near the half-way line for what he deemed was a push. We then gave it one last go and a last-ditch lunging tackle inside the area was this time deemed fair despite several similar challenges from both sides being punished throughout the game in other areas of the pitch. Inconsistency frustrates everyone, not decisions.

Sorry but i cant agree with the last bit of your report. The referee was just outside the D and his penalty award was spot on. Ask your 2 players who admitted it was, in their words a stone waller . As for the tackle late on, again they got it spot on. i dont think we could complain had it have ended all square but it didnt and to blame the referee is a little out of order. I notice there was no mention of the punch to the stomach early in the game which should have been a straight red. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 pm 

That's fine that you don't agree, but all you seem to ask for is red cards. There was 90+ minutes of football, you know.

Everyone I was speaking to after the game was talking about these incidents so that's why I included them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 am 

The Falcon wrote:
That's fine that you don't agree, but all you seem to ask for is red cards. There was 90+ minutes of football, you know.

Everyone I was speaking to after the game was talking about these incidents so that's why I included them.

I dont ask for red cards . I was 10 yards away and it was as clear as day the punch off the ball. and if you watch Chris Munro's video footage i think you will find both the late decisions were correct. Clear push by Snowy and a good tackle with a full foot on the ball, It was a very dour game and not denying you deserved a point. Yous defended well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am 

Well you did ask for a red...read above, same as the reverse game. These are incidents you tend to only pick up on even though your team also defended very well. They were there when it counted as a number of loose balls in your penalty area were hacked away as we couldn't quite force the ball over the line. I said earlier, we can't buy a goal at the moment and it's not through lack of trying. We actually scored early on but it was disallowed for a foul on your keeper. However, it was your defender who impeded him, not one of us.

I actually agree with that late tackle, but my point is that throughout the game similar tackles were deemed as fouls. Not in my eyes, but the officials said they were fouls and they're in charge. We even had a foul given against us when our lad missed both ball and player....he slid into nothing, absolutely no contact, yet foul given. So we accept that. That one at the end was a strong, match-winning tackle yet could easily have been given as a foul based on what we'd seen throughout the game. That's my point.

Teams at the top need luck at times and to get 3 points instead of 1 you certainly had some on Saturday. That game had draw written all over it...but there's nowt better than a bit of late drama.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm 

Again i didn't ask for a red . merely pointing out it was missed by the officials, had it of been spotted it would most definitely been one. Lets move on , Good luck for the rest of the Season