Switch to full style
For all the chat from, and about, Rutherford AFC
Post a reply

Wallsend Boys Club (A) - Sat 18 Nov

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

This Saturday we travel to play Division One side Wallsend Boys Club in the last 16 of the George Dobbins League Cup.

Wallsend pulled off arguably the performance of the round by beating Premier Division Champions Killingworth Town in Round 2, but since then have struggled for both form and goals. Their last outing was 0-2 defeat against New Fordley. However, that one result against Killingworth shows exactly what they're capable of.

We have hit more good form with 3 wins on the bounce and our last game was a very accomplished 3-0 victory against Northbank Carlisle.

The pitch is Kirkley Park, Rhedyt Avenue, NE28 8SX and kick off is 1:30pm

Re: Wallsend Boys Club (A) - Sat 18 Nov

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 am

Wallsend Boys Club 1-1 Rutherford (AET, Rutherford win 4-3 on pens)

An entertaining game on a bitterly cold day went right to the wire against Wallsend BC.

The home side took the lead on 14 mins as their lively winger picked up a loose clearance, cut inside then hit an unstoppable shot into the far top corner. It was clear their danger was coming from the wings as they stretched us on a big pitch. But our football started to show and we were unlucky when Dan Fullen just lost his footing when shooting from a good position. Dylan Howourth also had an effort roll just the wrong side of the post.

We equalised on 41 minutes as some sustained pressure on the home side forced a number of corners. Sam Hodgson won a towering header that the keeper did well to keep out but Howourth was there to volley in the rebound with an overhead kick.

We felt we should have had a penalty as the first half ended as a great move released Perry Veitch down the right wing, and his cross was stopped by what can only be described as a diving save from the defender, but no penalty given.

The 2nd half had a similar pattern to it - we pressed and pressed and then Wallsend used the counter attack. Fullen and Howourth went close for us and Wallsend hit the bar with a free kick, but no score.

30 minutes of extra time couldn't find a winner despite a crazy last 5 minutes when both teams really went for it so the game was settled by penalties. Hodgson, Fullen, and Watson scored for us whilst Veitch and Howourth had their efforts saved. But Wallsend missed the target twice so it went to sudden death. Tom Young scored his then Ross Tottle made an excellent save from his opposite number to win the tie.

Overall the effort cannot be questioned. It might have been a bit of a dis-jointed performance but these things happen and hard work sees you through, that's what our lads did. It's 4 games unbeaten so we roll on to next week.

Next up is a friendly at West Allotment Celtic on Tuesday before a league game at home to Ashington Colliers next Saturday.
Post a reply