It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Killingworth Town (A) Sat 8 Apr @ 2:30pm
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 am 

This Saturday we have a tough game at West Moor Community Centre to play high-flying Killingworth Town.

The reverse game was only 2 weeks ago as they ran out 4-1 winners at Farnacres although at one point we missed a penalty with the score at 2-1.

Our last game was a 2-0 defeat to fellow strugglers Shankhouse so we'll need all players to step up and be counted if we're to challenge a team who I feel will finish top 2, probably winners. But results can happen, a few years back we beat Heaton Stannington 3-2 in a shock result, and before that we beat Blyth Town 1-0 in another upset. Both of these teams went on to win the league that year. So can we do another one? Well that depends on whether our players stand up and be counted.

The game should be a cracker. Get yourself along to watch proper, local football. The postcode is NE12 7NP

Post subject: Re: Killingworth Town (A) Sat 8 Apr @ 2:30pm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am 

Killingworth Town 2-1 Rutherford

Well, first things first and we lost another game to a close scoreline, but the positives were it was a much-improved performance and we must take heart that we made the champions-elect work hard.

Going into the game, the home side knew that a win would see them top the table at a critical stage, whereas we knew that every point gained would be vital. After a steady start we took the lead with a stunning goal from Andy Hall. Spotting the keeper off his line he beat him from fully 35 yards. At the other end, our defence was looking solid as we restricted Killingworth to long-range shots - none of them on target. So far, so good.

But we knew where Killingworth's strengths were and they started to apply a lot of pressure, especially from set-pieces. And the equaliser came from a corner as they forced a loose ball home.

Their 2nd goal which turned out to be the winner was also from a set-piece but apologies that I have very little details on this - I was getting the coffees in! Killingworth then really turned the screw on us and put us under a lot of pressure, but huge credit to our players for standing tall and restricting efforts.

We continued to plug away but in truth we never fully tested the home keeper and couldn't break through their defence. But having said that we had a glorious opportunity to equalise when a ball over the top found the head of our runner but it was one of those where if the ball is put either side of the keeper then it's in....but it went straight into his hands. And then by this stage Killingworth controlled the game and took the points.

As I said, real credit to our players. It takes some performance to push the team who I feel will win the league all the way to the end. We may not have looked like winning the game much, but we made them earn the victory. And finally congratulations to Killingworth Town; they're top of the league for a reason and we wish them well in their remaining games.

Post subject: Re: Killingworth Town (A) Sat 8 Apr @ 2:30pm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:27 pm 

The Falcon wrote:
Killingworth Town 2-1 Rutherford

Well, first things first and we lost another game to a close scoreline, but the positives were it was a much-improved performance and we must take heart that we made the champions-elect work hard.

Going into the game, the home side knew that a win would see them top the table at a critical stage, whereas we knew that every point gained would be vital. After a steady start we took the lead with a stunning goal from Andy Hall. Spotting the keeper off his line he beat him from fully 35 yards. At the other end, our defence was looking solid as we restricted Killingworth to long-range shots - none of them on target. So far, so good.

But we knew where Killingworth's strengths were and they started to apply a lot of pressure, especially from set-pieces. And the equaliser came from a corner as they forced a loose ball home.

Their 2nd goal which turned out to be the winner was also from a set-piece but apologies that I have very little details on this - I was getting the coffees in! Killingworth then really turned the screw on us and put us under a lot of pressure, but huge credit to our players for standing tall and restricting efforts.

We continued to plug away but in truth we never fully tested the home keeper and couldn't break through their defence. But having said that we had a glorious opportunity to equalise when a ball over the top found the head of our runner but it was one of those where if the ball is put either side of the keeper then it's in....but it went straight into his hands. And then by this stage Killingworth controlled the game and took the points.

As I said, real credit to our players. It takes some performance to push the team who I feel will win the league all the way to the end. We may not have looked like winning the game much, but we made them earn the victory. And finally congratulations to Killingworth Town; they're top of the league for a reason and we wish them well in their remaining games.

Firstly, thank you for your kind words and hopefully, we have something to celebrate come end of the season.

Very hones report again. Your lads can be very proud of the performance they put in on Saturday and made my lads work extremely hard to get over the line.

I really believe Rutherford are in a very false position based on the 2 games against us. Great set of lads and good crack on touchline and a special mention, every player back to the bar for a pint and a bit bait.

Top club ran properly and I wish you the best for the rest of the season.

Dean Nicholson