It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MRFC vs BOOTLE (NWCL Cup replay)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 pm 

This is it on Saturday, We welcome the team and supporters of Bootle to "Stade De Brantingham".
It gives us the chance to finish the job we started in the first match against Bootle.
Bootle are doing well and rightfully deserve their position in the league.

As I said earlier, in a cup game, the "underdogs", not being disrespectful to the lads at MRFC, usually get it going quick and then somehow, get pegged at the death by the team that were pre match favourites, going by this seasons form.You see it, year in, year out at all levels.
This is the NWCL cup 1/4 final, and as such, form books can go out the window and the bookies will sweat a bit until the final whistle. Form means for nothing and MRFC will be well up to try their best to proceed into the semi-final stage.
This has the makings of a really good game and I hope it is a good example of non league footie at it's best, may the best side prevail on the day.
To all attending, remember Fabrice, hold him in your thoughts for a moment, then enjoy the game and the day.

"Play up you Blues!"

Post subject: Re: MRFC vs BOOTLE (NWCL Cup replay)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:39 pm 

From www.maineroadfc.com

This is a big one! Tomorrow’s game v Bootle in the League Cup quarter-final replay should not only be a cracker, but also define the season for Road. Win and we get to the semi and possibly the final. Lose and we will probably look back on the season as one of the very few in recent times where the team has underachieved.

The team would love to have a few extra on the gate willing them on, so if you can get down to Brantingham Road please do. For City fans there will be plenty of time to get to the game and then be home or in Chorlton to watch the Stoke game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 am 

Good luck, MRFC.

Didn't want to miss this one.

I'll be on the Solway coast tomorrow, but my spirit will be at the Stade De Brantingham.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 pm 

MRFC 2-2 BOOTLE.
(MRFC won 3-2 on Penalties, after extra time)

This sounds like it might have been a half decent game?

It's always hard to lose on penalties, and not my preferred way of settling ties.
Sorry Bootle.
Well done to all at MRFC, a cup semi final will help lift their season.

"Play up you Blues!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 pm 

That was a bit of a rollercoaster

A goal down after 30 minutes, a free header from a corner although we might have had a penalty when Josh T was tripped but didn't go down making it easy for the referee to ignore it.

It was two just after the hour, a good finish into the corner from 12 yards.

Cometh the hour cometh the man, Chappie moved forward and created a bit of uncertainty in their defence.
We pulled one back with twenty left, Liam cutting in from the right then hitting a left foot curler that Chappie tapped home at the far post.
Road turned the screw and were level ten minutes later when Chappie's header was brilliantly saved by the keeper but he pounced on the loose ball to poke it over the line.

So now we thought we would go on and win it within the ninety but Bootle hit back and Greg made two good stops and James hacked one off the line.

The next 30 minutes couldn't separate the teams so the the dreaded penalty shootout.

They scored
Eddie scored
They hit the post
Chappie had his saved
Greg saved their next
Brocky scored
They scored
Matt H scored
They ballooned their fifth over the bar
3-2 to us

I think over the two games we just about deserved to go through.

Chappie was a tower of strength, Greg made some excellent saves and catches, Liam worked hard, Andy T & Alex put in solid performances but I think a special mention is due to young Rory Breslin.
For a 16/17 year old lad to put in a two hour shift like he did today is nothing less than remarkable, well done Rory.

Norton Utd in the semi, must be a decent team to beat Rammy on their own patch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 pm 

Just found out the result. Excellent!

Is the semi-final a one-legged tie, and if so where will it be played?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:59 pm 

Congratulations to all concerned at Maine Road.It was an exciting cup-tie with lots of talking points.I have to admit that over both games you may well have just shaded it,but,you have to give Greg,your goalie, a lot of praise for some of his game-winning saves.
Many thanks for your hospitality,and good luck in the semi-final.

UP THE BUCKS. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm 

Cheers once again "56". S.A.B.
Reads like a corker of a match!
Well done to Rory, he deserves a credit mention and a sterling effort by him and all the lads.
The semi-final should make for a good day.

"Play up you Blues!"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:09 pm 

coxswain wrote:
Congratulations to all concerned at Maine Road.It was an exciting cup-tie with lots of talking points.I have to admit that over both games you may well have just shaded it,but,you have to give Greg,your goalie, a lot of praise for some of his game-winning saves.
Many thanks for your hospitality,and good luck in the semi-final.

UP THE BUCKS. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Much appreciated, Coxswain. Our games with you are nearly always keenly contested, although it is more usual for you just to edge it. Maybe it was just our turn. We honestly thought that the momentum would be with us in extra-time, both psychologically and remembering E.T. in the first game, when your lads seemed to visibly tire against our 10 men. This time it didn't work out like that. Your guys were strong to the end and as you rightly say we were indebted to Greg Hall for some excellent saves to keep us in.

Hope you have a strong finish to the season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:12 pm 

From www.maineroadfc.com

25/03/2012 - Season Still Alive As Road Battle Through to The Semis

Maine Road FC won through to the semi-finals of the NWCFL Challenge Cup with a thrilling defeat of Bootle. At one point Road were 0-2 down to the high-flying Merseysiders, but a tactical change saw Neil Chappell pushed forward and he did the business with two goals in the 73rd and 79th minute to level matters. Extra-time could not split the sides and so it went to a penalty shoot-out which was won 3-2 by Road.

Road will now play Norton in a two-legged semi-final. Norton pulled out a shock win against Ramsbottom United. Dates for the fixtures will be announced soon.

* Please note the match report may be a little slower getting online due to your webmeister spending Sunday afternoon in A & E with a massive shoulder muscle tear. Now only being capable of one finger typing, it might also be a little shorter than usual!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:46 pm 

Webmeister,
one finger typing, isn't that how it's done????
I am not going to ask how or why it happened??
Hope it's not your drinking arm!!! (hee hee)

Take it easy and have a speedy recovery, that puts an end to any thoughts of decorating or gardening or attending your window boxes,drat.

take care matey and great result.

"Play up you Blues!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:33 pm 

Not my drinking arm, thankfully, but needless to say drink played a part in it! Feel really daft ...don't understand, as it didn't feel like I was drinking more than normal...I think I got the strengths of the 5 different ales our landlord served mixed up....or he did! By his own admission he has been known to put the wrong beer clip on the pump, so it says 4.2% and it is actually 5.6%....something like that must have gone on! I was a mess!

1st leg of semi away at Norton this Sat (31st) 2nd leg at Brantingham Road Thurs 12th April

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm 

Does that mean we will still have to fit in our league matches on the same dates.
If that is the case it will be a ridiculous schedule.
31st March - Norton away
2nd April - Padiham home
7th April - Runcorn T home
9th April - Glossop home
12th April - Norton home
14th April - Ashton home
18th April - Silsden away (thanks NWCFL for that one on a Wednesday night )
21st April - St Helens away
23rd April - Bootle home
28th April - Runcorn L home

That's 10 games in 29 days.

Winsford away still to fit in & hopefully, a cup final.

The Premier League teams moan that they have to play two matches in a week
From 7th to 14th our lads look like they will have to play 4 games in 8 days.

Having said all that, despite the division below us only playing 34 league matches it looks as though Norton are in a worse position than us with at least 15 matches to fit in.

Do we really need replays for League Cup games & two legged semi-finals ?
The league are even looking into end of season play-offs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm 

Yeah, alright DJM,
What's that old line "must have been a bad pint or summit in the drink, honest".
We've all been there,got the tee shirts and bruises and fractures at some point.
Speedy recovery anyway matey.

"56" is bang on when he says we it looks like we will have a bit of the old fixture pile up heading right up our street. Hope it doesn't cause too many results to go the wrong way. I know that there were ground freezes to help cause this back log, surely the league are aware of the grief it causes and physical demands on players. Must they stick to the deadline or can clubs approach them with valid arguments to justify a small extension?

"Play up you Blues!"