It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Law
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:58 pm 

How is the sore nipple Esh Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

Maz, you should know by now that Durham FA is a higher power than the International Olympic Committee!

I'd be interested to know on what grounds this decision has come about. Or why? As someone noted, I can understand if they banned it altogether due to it being difficult to remove following a leg injury, however I can't see any other reason why? Players in the Premier League and everywhere else in the World's Top Leagues play with tape on their socks - to me white and black goes with everything really. Maybe the powers that be think it isn't 'fashionable' or 'cool'?! Maybe Gok Wan has gained a job within the FA?! :lol:

In seriousness though - the only thing I can think of which it may be is down to identification purposes, perhaps so the official can determine which leg makes contact with the ball first for example?? Then, however there's the teams that maybe can't afford a full strip and have alsorts of socks in their kitbag. Or maybe two teams wear the same colour socks? Which is quite possible??

It would make more sense to ban ridiculous boot colours. They should be black at all times! :)

Anyway, it just seems a silly rule really. That and the rolling subs rule have raised a few eyebrows in footballing circles this summer - neither rule really makes any sense to most people. Without wishing to be too offensive to any of the people who make these rules - I personally think there's a few more important issues to be dealt with in local football (and indeed world football) than what colour tape is used to keep socks/shinpads in place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 am 

Law 4 - The Players' Equipment (submitted by The Football Association)
New text stockings - if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to.

Reason - An increasing number of players are using excessive amounts of tape externallyon their socks. This can be a multitude of colours and completely changes the look of the sock. This can cause confusion, particularly for assistant referees who may need to look at the sock to determine who last played the ball before it went out of play.

The above is from FIFA, this is really about the players who cover half their sock with tape or even cut the bottom of their sock off which some pro players have been doing recently.
A single band of tape to keep the shinpad in place or keep the sock up is not going to alter the colour of the sock............ I've just bought 15 rolls of white tape, the reason that I buy different coloured tape to that of the socks is so when I come to wash the strip I can easily identify the tape to remove it so it doesn't block my washing up (happened before) so we'll keep wearing this tape.
I doubt any referee in Sunday football is going to be so pathetic (unless they are been assessed by DFA)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

NETParkFC wrote:
This can cause confusion, particularly for assistant referees who may need to look at the sock to determine who last played the ball before it went out of play.

Surely if this became the case, the weird linesman in question wants to either wrap in altogether or get his eyes tested.

Jesus!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm 

What about if two players go for the ball and both have black boots on?

Haway man surley a liner can work out who touched the ball last no matter how much tape is on a sock?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 pm 

To Be Fair wrote:
What about if two players go for the ball and both have black boots on?

Haway man surley a liner can work out who touched the ball last no matter how much tape is on a sock?

And how many games have a liner on a sunday morning?? probs about 1% of games over the course of a season?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:38 pm 

Its mad but this is what FIFA have put out so I suppose the Leagues have to follow it!

Both teams are not meant to wear the same colour socks, we have been asked to change them on a few occasions. Then again the referees never ask before the game kicks off but some do enquire about the colour shirts that both teams are wearing.
We only have linesmen in Cup semi and finals never in a league game. Each team runs their own line but for throw-ins only.