It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Brandon United v Team Northumbria
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:18 pm 

kenny i totally agree i sometimes dont think the management team want to win games ,only happy to play football the right way,but people want to see winning teams or they will go elsewhere to watch their football which quite a few have done this season.my priority is two forwards who can stick the ball in the net on a frequent basis,we do create chances but it seems that most players this season have panicked when through on goal.this has happened on numerous occasions .it was nice to see next seasons registration form with 15 already committed but we must add new blood and we must form a winning mentality into the side,but this comes from the management team and as mentioned before im not sure whether this is what they want! as i have posted on other forums we are currently top of the fair play league for div. 2 and 2nd overall behind seaham in the whole league,whilst its nice winning awards doesnt that tell you something.we need a nasty streak without being dirty or illegal but that has to come from bj and co.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:55 pm 

Exactly right and thats why i dont think anything will change next season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:41 pm 

i just wish bj would listen to people who have been involved in northern league football and tell him this is a unique league its more brawn than skill,whilst not undermining the skill factor you just have to watch most northern league teams,two big centre halves who kick the ball as far as they can,a dirty git in midfield and at least one monster upfront.one example of this was earlier in the season away to horden we murdered them playing football but didnt score ,it was 0-0 in the 38th minute we were on the attack it broke down hordens centrehalf launched it upfield without any purpose,caught our defence out and bang 1-0,7minutes later it was 5-0,all through long balls.as i say without undermining the skill of passing you have to mix your play to be successful,we are one dimensional, nice football that doesnt often get anywhere and as we saw in yesterdays game too much farting about in our own half/BOX! .dont get me wrong i class myself as a good friend of bj and we as a club are indebted to him and his youth policy for keeping the club afloat but sometimes i dont think he likes to be questioned about tactics and i know he doesnt like criticism for the players but this is the big league and people pay good money to watch and they have a right to shout their opinions.there is nothing wrong with listening to people who know this league inside out ,lets hope he/they listen to people.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:57 pm 

I know BJ very well and he wont change or listen to people, i think he should stick to the coaching side of things and get in a manager who knows the N/L, to be efective in this league you need to be strong in the cntrs, keeper, c/h c/m c/f then build the rest round these players with players with pace, strength, good technical ability, and strength, nothing wrong with passing the ball around but it must be positive passing not over playing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:10 pm 

enough said mate, we both know whats needed lets hope one day it will happen,somehow im not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:18 pm 

Have a good summer,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm 

Its obvious from your comments that you two are frustrated armchair managers who think they are experts, if it wasn't for BJ and his 24/7 commitment and boundless enthusiasim Brandon would have gone down the pan, along with Brian Fowler, Adam and Ron they give lots of their time so that we have a team to watch, so be thankful. Bill, Ian and Barry also do lots off the field so their is plenty input from many sources. I also know BJ, yes he is a very strong character, but he only wants what is best for the club and the players, my son has worked with BJ for a number of years and he has grown in confidence, BJ instills confidence and allows players to play to the best of their ability.
As for not listening I have sat after a match with the coaches over a pint and even I get a chance to comment, they do talk things over, who runs the team when BJ is away, Brian and Adam, does he leave kick by kick plan of what he wants, I don't think so because he trusts his coaches to do their best with the players who turn up.
Not wanting to win, what a ridiculous comment, not worthy of a reply.
If you want a team of cloggers go and watch a fourth division Sunday team, that might be your idea of football, Brandon have improved alot and with a couple of additions(a goal scorer and centre midfield) we will move on.
Its easy to slag someone off hidden behind your login, if you think the set up is that bad bend Bill Fishers ear and see what he says, I think you will not get any change from him and rightly so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 pm 

Hello Brandon this is Wakefield FC calling.

My dad was from Brandon and my mum from Esh Winning.

Without being patronising how has your season being?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:45 am 

There is know way am i a frustrated manager, and any one who knows me will tell you that, the idea of a forum is all about debate and oppinions, and that is all i am doing giving a oppinion of what i see, there is know way would i intentionally slag anyone of at Brandon if i have done then i am sorry. And for thinking i am an expert on football again i just say it as i see it rightly or wrongly just my oppinion. if i was watching a local sunday team or youth team then i wouldnt make a comment of what i thought, but when supporters pay good money to watch teams there they are entitled to have there oppinion, but again if i have caused you upset then i am sorry.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:50 pm 

a reply for tallyho,we have finished bottom of the 2nd div with a grand total of ten points.however,despite this we are very encouraged about the future,we have a young team who in my opinion only lack some steel to to help them ,we are a bit lightweight in a few areas,lets hope a year on with a bit more experience we can compete better at this level.as a member of wakefield fc why dont you contact the brandon secretary and organise a pre season game between the clubs ,it could be a useful exercise.this one for minder as kenny says it is only a forum for opinions and people only write what they see,if i have upset anyone i apologise but iam very passionate about brandon as i have been watching them for 37 years(sunday league regular) and i think i have a right to air my views.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 pm 

Hi Guys Firstly can I say I am so pleased that Brandon will be in the NL next season. Can I also add that there are some great guys at Brandon Bill, Barry, Ian, Brian and BJ. As a person who has been on the inside I feel I am qualified to make a comment and I have to say that the job Billy and BJ have done has been first class in terms of survival for the club. I would also like to add that both BJ and Brian are first class coaches as well as top blokes. I believe the set up we had at Brandon when I was there could have been the "dream team" in terms of coaching staff with Brian and my knowledge of the NL, my knowledge of available NL players and BJ's undoubted coaching ability. But we are all very strong characters and I deeply regret that it did not work out as Brandon are my home town club. I can say however as stated by Kenny and Super Hiro that BJ does like things his way and his way only (which I suppose I could be accused of also) and as much as "pretty football" is entertaining it has been proved that it does not win games at this level and the thing I found difficult was that players in the under 18's and under 21's were not being prepared for NL football so although there are players of undoubted talent it was very difficult to integrate them successfully into the first team. I believe that in BJ and Brian there is no better duo for this job but then a NL manager running the first team should have sole responsibility for the first team. I am not saying that I would have been successful but we had built a squad capable of holding its own in that division and with a couple of additions which I had lined up for the following season we could have become a top 6 side in Div 2.

Unfortunately that was not to be but I wish the guys all the best next season as the above mentioned people are doing a fantastic job on limited resources and for that they must be applauded. WELL DONE LADS!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:42 pm 

thanks for all that col,i think a few people gotupset with some of the comments made but it is only peoples opinions and it shows that there are supporters out there who really care for the club,like iv said previous iv had 37 years watching rostrons/brandon united and i think im fully qualified to have my say,i only want whats best for brandon united and to bj and co. thanks for your involvement, without it and saturdays wouldnt be the same.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 am 

You are dead right Pigeon End you do deserve your say after 37 years of support and people like yourself are very important to this football club. As you probably know I was involved with Brandon for many years as mascot, player, captain, coach, assistant manager and manager the only job I havnt had is chairman. WATCH OUT BILLY!!!

I know a few people have left the club because of BJ and I had my reasons which I will not discuss on here but BJ is a top bloke and in terms of coaching is streets ahead of anyone I have worked with but you should not under estimate the job Brian does aswell. Myself and BJ just had a personality clash and there are lots of things I would have done differently as would BJ and he was big enough to admit that and to me that shows the measure of the man

I really hope Brandon do get things right for next year as I hate to see then struggle and I did spend over 10 years there and I am a local lad.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm 

I think it's great we can have this debate about Brandon - it shows that there are people out there that are passionate about the club. We just need to find a few more week in week out.....

This has been my first season watching Brandon (I am foremost a Blyth Spartans fan), but very soon after I started editing the programme, became very attached to the place. It wasn't long before I started saying "WE" when we had lost. (There I go again).

I think at first I went to Brandon and offered to do the programme out of pity. I had been reading about all the bad luck they had been having and thought I could do something. I can honestly say it's been a real pleasure. Bill, Ian and Barry have welcomed me in. BJ, Adam and the rest of the backroom staff have done a fantastic job with little resource and I have felt the heartbreak of the players as last minute (or 97th minute) equalisers go in.

In the end I managed to fit in about twenty two Brandon games home and away, compared to about ten Blyth games.

I think the future is promising IF all the charity status and ground lease work ever gets going. I still think its testement to the whole set up at Brandon as to why so many players have signed up again for next season. However, I do think sometimes we may have to be cruel to be kind. We do need to strengthen in a few positions. We need a few players with a bit more experience and perhaps a bit more menace about them. But that would mean dropping players who have been loyal to the club while it's gone through the worst period it's ever had.

I for one am looking forward to next season - whoevers there.

(P.S. - if the club secretary is looking in - or treasurer - or chairman - can we have a pre-season friendly against Blyth Spartans please :D. 'We' have ex-players in Andrew Johnson and Gary Brown playing there - it might be a good 'un...)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:31 pm 

super hiro i will see litz(andrew johnson) to see whatwe can do about a friendly,we were there pre-season before we won the 1st division,we drew 1-1.there has also been tentative interest from unibond club wakefield about a friendly via a supporter of theirs whose parents deride from brandon and esh winning,however this is only in the early stages and i cant promise if this happens(bj might not want to play them).representatives of tow law have asked me also but nothing concrete at all yet.