It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: game tonight
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 pm 

The important thing is BJ was in charge. When Colin came to the club he was interviewed by BJ.

BJ set the ground rules.

The relationship did not work out. End of story and Colin walked away.

Colin did a good job in difficult circumstances but he knew from day one that BJ had the final say.

But Colin did not take "a few" players as you say. He took nine to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:07 pm 

Colin did a excellent job under the circumstances, the manager should always have the final say with team matters, if this is not the case then you just become a puppet, if Colin did take 9 players and i dont think he did but you might be able to put me right on that, why did they go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:25 pm 

I agree with Kenny the manager must have final say or why have them. There are to many "directors of football" who put themselves in a position of not being accountable. Without meaning to sound dis-respectful as I dont know the man but the Dutchman does not have a good track record at this level and I fail to see where the club has developed on the pitch if you look at the league table.

As for the issue of players we all know there is no loyalty in football and if a manager leaves he does take players with him thats life. Did he bring players to Brandon when he came?

Just making comment as an outsider so dont want to offend anyone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:02 pm 

I think he brought 10.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:31 am 

Kenny is right - at least 10 players left Brandon and signed for Jarrow Roofing. Others left probably because Brandon were left without a team.

When you have no money, aground that needs upgrading and no players signed on you have little going for you. That was the position BJ found himself in when Shoulder and Howey walked out. What we had was a plan. A plan to develop home grown players and build a team. That process started in season 2006/2007. We knew it would take about 5 years to build a reasonable team capable of challenging the best in the league. We also knew we would loose some of the players along the way.

The season went reasonably well in that we finished about fifth off bottom of the league. The platform was set for an improved position in 2007/2008. Then Colin left and took the Team. That took the Club back beyond were we started the previous year.

But we will continue to build. We will not stop those players who are capable of better from moving on. We could not and would not want to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 am 

Put me right if i am wrong but the middle of last season didnt BJ try to jump ship and try to get into Durham City, but they wouldnt have him, the point i am making is there is no loyalty in football from players to managers and coaches.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 am 

If Kenny's last post is true it just proves my point about about the loyalty situation!!!!

My last point was that if a manager joins a new club and brings players with him then if he moves on its a good bet they will move with him. Its up to the clubs to ensure that this does not happen but unfortunately this is much harder than it sounds. If according to the last post Bj decided to move on would all the players go with him???

ITS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST!!!!!

This topic seems to have hit a nerve with Mr Gilpin. Did you not rate the previous manager as your posts do not seem to be mostly on the positive side which could be understandable if the previous manager ruined the development of your club. You seem to be very knowlegeable about club affairs are you associated???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

As far as i know its true unless anyone knows different,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:05 am 

Seems you are right Kenny. Spoke to a mate of mine yesterday who knows all things Durham City and BJ did in fact approach Durham offering himself and "his" players!!!!

Its the old chestnut of loyalty again and the fact that there isnt any!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:02 pm 

Just to nip this issue in the bud regarding BJ and Durham City - yes the club were aware that some discussions took place. Who made the approach and what was said does mot matter.

You have to remember that the events surrounding this Club were, are, unique. The Club could have folded at anytime during the last 4 years. Committee, Managers, Players and Supporters have come and gone.

What is important here is that everyone now working with the Club is trying to take it forward. They are also trying to ensure that it does not matter who leaves the Club be it those at the top or those at the bottom. The Club MUST still survive.

Just to put the record straight about my thought on the previous manager. I have always thought that Colin did a good job in difficult circumstances. But Colin was steeped in "old" Northern League. He was always going to find life with BJ difficult because of the new concepts adopted by the club.

What saddened me about Colin is that as a Brandon Lad he could have been the straw to break the camels back. Yes he took players and broke no rules but did he need to take 10? Did he need to take the kids who were never going to make it into the first team on a regular basis.

Brandon United is not now a "normal" Northern League Club. Somehow I think we will not remain unique much longer as other clubs will have to change or go under.

BJ may not be at the Club in 2 years time. But what he is doing is trying his hardest to ensure is that he will not be needed in 2 years time and that is the way it should be.