It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Best players this season?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:35 pm 

I've now seen quite a few games featuring Brandon and have been able to form an opinion on who I think are the players that have caught the eye, and have the ability to take the club forward.

My picks in no particular order:

Ian Myers (keeper) Agile, very brave, excellent shot stopper
Josh Fowler (midfield) Seems a very young lad but has bags of skill and excellent passing ability
Adam Laidlaw (central defence) Outstanding this season, wins everything in the air, great in the tackle and has been the most consistent player by a mile
Kevin Russell (midfield) Tremendous pace, excellent vision and passing ability and strikes a good ball
Tim Bowman (centre forward) Has adapted to this standard of football and has a real instinct for goal
Jonathan Heslop (midfield) Tremendous work-rate, always involved

Well lads, those are my picks...There IS a basis for a good team, and if you can keep those lads at the club (a big IF in some cases) then you have the nucleus for a decent team- and certainly won't be chasing shadows next season.
Hopefully new players will be signed as I have a soft spot for Brandon who have faced a lot of problems this season. I think it's fair to say that I wish you well, and this feeling is echoed by the nice comments from supporters of other clubs. You've won a lot of people over with your dedication to the Dutch school of football ('total football' I think it's called) which you have stuck with through thick and thin, and I do think this could pay dividents next season with a little bit of experience chucked in.

All the best!

Post subject: Re: Best players this season?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:34 pm 

Agree they have the basis for a good team but the age of a lot of them i think it could take another 3 seasons before they develop into a good N/L side, what i think they need is a manager with good links in grass roots football to bring in some players with experiance, to play along side these young ones, in my oppinion BJ is a first class coach and the team would benifit more with him has a coach and not a manager. the foundations are there for them to develop into a good team. but its going to take time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 pm 

AGREE WITH ANDREW AND KENNY,BUT EXPERIENCE IS A MUST FOR NEXT SEASON,HOPEFULLY THEY CAN HOLD ON TO THE YOUNG LADS.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:53 pm 

Personally i think Brandon will fold sooner rather than later, no support, very little help to commitee, no money to run the club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:00 am 

marron04 wrote:
Personally i think Brandon will fold sooner rather than later, no support, very little help to commitee, no money to run the club

We aim to prove you wrong Maz.

Watch this space :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how too let me know and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 am 

Good Post Andrew,

I must admit like, even though ive yet to go to any of the games, ive heard some of those names mentioned as being first class players, especially Josh Fowler, who could apparently be away to a league club, and Laidlaw, who has meant to have impressed in the side all season and by all accounts both are quality players. Hopefully this saturday ill come along and see them in action, thats if the ground holds up!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:21 am 

Fowler very good player could make the grade in lower leagues but needs to find some pace to play at a higher level.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:16 pm 

Ah well good luck to the lad whatever happens :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 pm 

I think Heslop has been the most consistent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:31 pm 

Have only seen Brandon a few times this season but on those occasions Adam Laidlaw, Ian Myers and Tim Bowman were excellent.

Keppoch Park, Glasgow Perthshire (09/06/18)

My New Grounds Log & Map-

http://smid100fgc.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... ewart.html

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/etseeketsee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:29 pm 

I have watched a few games and the keeper has been one of the best players! now thats saying something!
I also liked the look of the winger, Chrissy English, I heard someone mentioned he was at bishops for a while before BUFC, looks decent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:12 am 

He gets plenty of practice, if it wasnt for him they would be getting beat by more goals, but thats what he is there for, as for english i could be wrong and some body put me right if i am, but i cant remember him at Bishop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 pm 

I think it is unfair to classify players as "best players" especially when so many young and inexperienced players are involved.

Unless you watch a team week-in week-out it would be an unfair comparison anyway.

Brandon have "blooded" so many new players to the league over the last 3 seasons but as yet they have been unable to retain them beyond a season. Hopefully that will change this year and the team will get a chance to blend together.

I will watch with interest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 pm 

Why is it unfair, this is senior football regardless of age, nobody is slagging any of your players of, just saying in there oppinion wich are the best, cant see a problem in that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 pm 

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you Kenny but I think the circumstances at Brandon are anything but normal.

For the last two seasons youngsters have been thrown in to a league which is very competative and physical to say the least. Added to that, last seasons team of youngsters has been replaced with this seasons new crop of youngsters. That was not by choice but by the Manager leaving and taking the team.

The players now at the club have a lot of ability but lack experience and some the physical attributes that comes with age. The players also probably lack confidence which is an aspect that will change when losses are turned into draws and draws into wins.

Confidence will not be improved if those players not in the "best players" list view this list or hear of its contents.

It might be a matter of little importance to someone aged 29 who has been in the league for years but perhaps more important to a lad of 16/17 just setting out on his career.